ArtsRising to host first Olney Youth Arts Festival on Saturday, June 15th
Olney Youth Arts Festival
Saturday, June 15, 2013
12 pm – 3 pm
(rain date: Sunday, June 16, 2013)
Location: West Chew Avenue off of North 5th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19120
This event celebrates the variety of multi-cultural youth dance from the greater Olney community. Philadelphia is home to many formal and informal dance practitioners who keep the flame of dance and movement alive in their respective corner of the city. The vast array of youth dance being featured will be: Cambodian Folk, Afro-Caribbean, Salsa, Hip-Hop, Puerto Rican Folk, Breaking, Modern, Step, Praise, Tap among others.
Participating groups that are confirmed (type of dance & where the group is based):
- Cambodian Association (Cambodian folk dance - Olney)
- Gibson School of Arts & Music (tap dance - Olney)
- Grover Washington Jr. Middle School General Steppers (Step Dance - Olney)
- Tremedos Dance Troupe (Salsa)
- Philareyto (Puerto Rican Folk dance - Kensington)
- Instant Addiction (hip hop, Latin)
- Aikan Entertainment (hip hop - Logan)
- Asian Arts Initiative (breaking – Center City)
- Kensington Health Science School (West African - Kensington)
- Philadelphia Suns Lion Dance Troupe (Chinese lion dance - Chinatown)
- New Korean Dance Troupe (Korean folk dance - Cheltenham)
- Lowell Elementary School (modern - Olney)
- Rhythmic Beats (hip hop)
- Zamar International School of Dance (ballet - modern - praise - Olney)
- Finletter Elementary School Dance Group (hip hop - Olney)
- E.M. Stanton Elementary School Dance Company (modern - South Philly)
The event hosted by Jamie Merwin & Metal of olive Dance Theatre with DJ Adriana Rivera helming the sound and keeping the vibes alive with great music.
A variety of youth, community and health vendors will be present. There will be Arts Activities Tables for kids and adults. We'll be making masks and hats.
The Festival will culminate in a community video-shoot of the Harlem Shake!
This event is being sponsored by Philadelphia Education Fund/ArtsRising, the Olney Community, Councilwoman Marian B. Tasco, Collins Shop Rite, North 5th Street Revitalization Project, PECO, Dance UP and CVS.